Apr 11, 2010

To Kill A Mockingbird


"Neighbors bring food with death, and flowers with sickness, and little things in between. Boo was our neighbor. He gave us two soap dolls, a broken watch and chain, a knife, and our lives." Scout Finch

Sniff... Sniff... Sniff..
BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.... I cry every time I watch this movie. The boy and i chilled today with our Netflix DVD. It's the perfect movie for a lazy Sunday afternoon. I think this is a movie you should watch once a year when you're like me and forget just about everything you see within a few hours. Like the fact that this was Harper Lees' only book. Like the fact that the character Dill was based on Truman Capote who was Harper Lee's playmate and long time friend in Alabama where they grew up. She actually accompanied Truman Captoe to Kansas to help him research his best seller, In Cold Blood. How highly thought of Gregory Peck was and how he stayed in touch with the actors and Harper through out his life. He even had a grandchild named Harper in her honor. Brock Peters, the actor who played Tom Robinson, a black man falsely accused of raping a white girl, actually gave a touching eulogy at Gregory Peck's funeral. I'd also forgotten this was Robert Duvall's movie debut playing Arthur "Boo" Radley. Harper Lee refused an Oprah interview as she was quite a recluse, informing Oprah she was a lot like her character, Boo Radley. The movie kept the boy's attention who had so many questions I am determined to read him the book. The teenager informed us she thought Tom Robinson was lying on the witness stand and she was leaving to watch Sponge Bob. Maybe with the teenager I'll stick with Peter Rabbit.

4 comments:

Diane said...

I have never seen this movie...with your movie review maybe I will rent it!

Jennie said...

Diane!! Get it now!

Kira is definitely a truth radar... I love it.

Anonymous said...

I am having a hard time believing there was a "lazy sunday" at your home....have aliens invaded???
♥ TKR

SECRET PEPPER PERSON: said...

Ha Ha Curly T. No alien invasions but we were next to their spaceship today.