Apr 27, 2010

She's Not Exactly Charlotte...


She's a Spiny orb-weaver or Gasteracantha cancriformis The spiny orb-weaver spider is one of the most colorful and easily recognized spiders in Florida. The webs usually contain tufts of silk, which may prevent birds from flying into them. (seen in photo) What a thoughtful spider! Tonight the kids finally got to sleep after 2 rounds of unexpected company and I decide to vacuum the pool by flood light and full moon. I had no idea when i let "my light shine" I was doing a little someone such a big favor. Apparently the light illuminated her glistening web attracting dozens of tiny moths and Miss Thang pictured above was maniacally wrapping them like bug burritos and setting them aside for tomorrows fiesta. I was so fascinated, I drug a ladder over and got up in the bougainvillea for a closer look. ( FYI: My neighbors live in a pop-up camper in their driveway and smoke ganja so what do I care if they see me on a ladder in the middle of the night watching a spider? I mean really) I do not allow my children to kill spiders unless it's a black widow of which we've had a neighborhood explosion in the past year. My mantra for years has been, "Spiders are our friends." The genius and the artist will attest to this truth. When the artist and I were in DC we went to an exhibit at the Smithsonian about spiders called, Spit and Suck. While most tourists were climbing the Washington Monument, we were watching a documentary about spider pre-digestion. Can you say "N-A-S-T-Y"? Having said all of this about the wonder of spiders I will confess that if Miss Thang was a tarantula or a wolf spider I would be screaming like a lunatic on a bad acid trip. I had a tarantula in my purse in Haiti once and I'm not sure which was worse. A tarantula in my purse in Haiti or said tarantula being stepped on by a construction worker and seeing the tarantula goo squish around his shoe. Yack. So to make a long story short, my pool is clean, the spider is full and I'm going to bed.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Spiders are the best. I won't let anyone kill them, thanks to my upbringing. Plus, they eat my least favorite creature in the world - roaches.

And this is news to no one, but I liked the Charlotte's Web movie better than the book, because of Paul Lynde's take on my favorite character, Templeton.

Diane said...

The tarantula that was in your purse was the size of a coffee cup!
(everything relates to coffee for me) and remember *something* touched you when you put your hand in your purse! It was the tarantula....I still remember running so we wouldn't have to see or hear the squish.....ewww too late, we did

SECRET PEPPER PERSON: said...

Diane...you are my witness. Do you remember George jumping up in the middle of the night yelling something had crawled on him...eeeek!

Diane said...

Yes I do!! No one would believe how big that tarantula was!!