Jan 17, 2010

A Fish (pepper) Story


I could say I was so excited when my heirloom seed order came in the mail this week that I peed my pants but that happens even if i pick up the cat. My older daughters would be horrified that I even mentioned such a thing so I won't. Today the weather was a lot nicer than it has been so I planted Dark Lollo Rossa Lettuce, Stupice and St. Pierre tomatoes, and Fish Peppers in organic soil. (How does one make soil organic? I know... I know all about no pesticides and composting as I've been there for years but organic dirt? I'm not convinced. ) Anyway, there are so many wonderful aspects to using heirloom seeds as opposed to the hybrids we're addicted too. Too few people realize that the loss of seed diversity facing this generation could lead to a disaster of unimaginable proportions. The Irish potato famine, which led to the death or displacement of two and a half million people in the 1840s, is an example of what can happen when we use only a few plant species as mainstays. The other benefit to heirlooms are the stories that accompany each seed variety like the historical lore behind the Fish Pepper. It's an African-American heirloom grown prior to the 1940's around the Philly/Baltimore area but to treat yourself to the entire story click on :


I can guarantee the story will make you smile. Maybe not as big as my daughter picking blueberries in Alabama but that smile is hard to top.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

That was a nice story. The pee story, not so nice.

Diane said...

After this story I may plant something other than pink flowers! As for the 'pee story', you're preaching to the choir here! : )

SECRET PEPPER PERSON: said...

Better to pee than to poo.

Jennie said...

ew.