Feb 23, 2010

Biblical Voyeur


Today as I was driving from client to client I was listening to a black preacher on the radio who stated when he dies and faces his maker he would like to have a top ten "instant replay" of certain Biblical events such as the parting of the Red Sea and the burning bush so that he could experience these events in person. Call me sacrilegious but none of his choices really interested me and then I started thinking. What would I like to see, feel and experience from biblical times if i could? I'm too ADD for 10 items so here are my top five:
1.) I'd like to be with Pharaoh's daughter when baby Moses floated up in the bull rushes. Her father was killing Hebrew babies and yet she blatantly plucked one out of the water in front of witnesses and raised the baby as her own. Was she rebellious, amazingly compassionate, desperate for a baby, or all of the above?
2.) I wish I could have been sitting around the fire when the Apostle Paul was bitten by the deadly viper, shook it from his hand and continued about his business. How confident he was in whom he served! Most of all, though, I'd want to see the looks on everyone elses' faces as they waited for him to drop dead and he didn't.
3.) Elijah! Now there is a biblical character I can relate to. He flip flopped between extraordinary faith and total despair. It's the total despair times I'm interested in. I'd love to be able to sit next to him in his hidey hole cave and ask him questions like, "You just took on over 400 of the most evil pagan priests known to mankind and even had the audacity to taunt them and now you are running from one woman? Wha?"
4.) I'd like to be on the road with Mary and Joseph when they were horrifeid to discover 12 year old Jesus was missing. When they found him in the Temple in Jerusalem and he told them he was " about his Fathers business" what was their initial reaction? We always see Mary and Joesph depicted with shining halos around their heads but that's our interpretation and not reality. The Bible says that Mary and Joseph did not understand the statement Jesus had spoken to them about his Father's business but that Mary kept all of these things in her heart. Did she file these things away in her heart before or after she took an olive branch switch to his rear?
5.) What made Joshua and Caleb different from the other 10 spies? Why did they see big grapes while the other ten saw big giants. Faith is the pat answer but I would love the opportunity to hang out with them for a while to see what made them really tick.

No comments: